Data Quality

I would like to hear views of how the EPA does and should verify data and examine basic premises behind conclusions presented as honest assessments in reports from state agencies.

As an illustration of my concern:

My considerable watershed management research has shown that the Southern California Metropolitan Water District, its member agencies and adjuncts such as the Water Education Foundation have inundated libraries - schools - public agency records with false and misleading information. The fact that news stories from across the nation reflect false perceptions gained from this flood of misinformation leads me to question the filtration/balancing/labeling system of the EPA. Since it has the capability to detect artful fictions whereas most libraries do not, does it have or should it have a means to critique all incoming material and offer balancing information for material that does not receive more than token peer review?