RE: Question for 21 September: Can we trust the EPA?

Let me preface this by stating that I fully support the National
Environmental Policy Act(NEPA) and the creation of the EPA in
1970. Getting pesticide regulation out of the USDA that protects
Agriculture, and under an Agency that is supposed to protect
human health and the environment was a step in the right direction
for all taxpayers.

That said, EPA in the past few years is not focused enough on their
mission. Lobbyists and political pressure may be the problem, but
EPA leadership must be aggressive in carrying out their mandates.
EPA operates on tax dollars paid by mothers that believe their
children have a right to health in the United States. EPA has lost
knowledgable staff, often to the payroll of polluting industry.
Dr.Lynn Goldman recently left her position as head of the EPA's
Office of Pesticide Programs for Johns Hopkins School of Public
Health, and her press releases regarding the inadequacy of our
regulatory agencies to assess the environmental insults that
endanger public health concerns me. Who better to know that EPA
is overwhelmed? Then to add to all the pressures on EPA, a Senate
committee is proposing to cut EPA's budget:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/b1ab9f485b098972852562e7004dc686/ab6c165c993b28f98525695b004b1381?OpenDocument

I think another problem is EPA relies too much on data being
provided by others. Since EPA doesn't test pesticides, but relies
on data submitted by the manufacturer of the pesticides for risk
assessment, this tends to invite bias.

This recent article in the New York Times does not help build a
foundation of trust for information used by EPA. Yet, I will
continue to turn to EPA, because I trust why the Agency exists,
pressures and staff changes.

September 22, 2000