Introduction

Hello. I am an Urban Resource Conservationist for USDA-Natural
Resources Conservation Service in south-west Missouri. I am
interested in this dialogue primarily for one reason. I provide
technical assistance to units of government (counties, cities,
towns), non-profit organizations, developers, contractors, health
departments, etc. The issues (most connected with water
quality) that are most important in this area right now are urban
growth, sprawl, farmland preservation, green space, smart growth,
sediment and erosion control on construction sites, septic tank
maintenance, and I could go on.

The media sources in our area have played a fairly significant
role in trying to educate the public. It has been my experience
that, for the most part, the public wants to know how to protect
their local environments.

The overwhelming problem seems to be providing the information in
a format that a lay-person can understand. Although we do a fair
job of providing information to ourselves and peers, we do a poor
job of providing information to the general public that they can
use in making decisions.

We need to provide the information so that it is easy to find,
and make it easier for everyone to understand. In addition, it
would be very beneficial to lay out some basic needs or steps to
take to change.