RE: Using Libraries as Forums

Funding naturally can make a difference, but we maybe are not talking
tons of cash here.  As has so well been pointed out, organization
and access to information is what the librarian needs.  Few of us
have the space to house comprehensive new environmental collections
but we do have the "skills to organize and access."  And we are
community centers and our missions are to provide information
and resources.  Perhaps funding regional training workshops on access
to EPA resources (of course funding for sub time would really prime
the pump)would accomplish multiple goals: enhancing public access to
info, utilizing existing skills, use structures that the public is
accustomed to visiting and are already being paid for.  And you are
absolutely correct, we can get the information (with access, training
and funds), the interpretation is up to the patron.