RE: Using Libraries as Forums

I am playing "catch-up" today as it has been a couple of days since
I have been able to be on.  I must jump in with my thoughts on using
libraries as a forum.

After 20 some years in the library field I have learned one thing--
Everyone LOVES a library until it is time to pay for it.  No one
wants to fund it properly.  Everyone wants to make exceptions to the
rule as to the the level of experience an employee needs to have and
the amount of salary that should be paid.  We have the knowledge, the
technology, the interest, the skills to organize and access, but
community after community (this goes for college and corporate entities,
too)CUT the budget.  You never hear any librarians say "We have absolute
potfulls of money!"

What some of you are asking isn't reasonable. The library has a whole
community to provide services for and that community has many agendas
besides the environment.  In an ideal world it would be wonderful
to have the time, staff, money, and talent to pull together all the
information you would ever need to fill every environmental question
that might be asked.  In the real world this librarian would much
prefer organization and access to information.  That means that IF we
know something is out there, we can find it and get it for you...you
are on your own for the interpretation of the information. We,
unfortunately, are only as good as our access to information and
our budgets allow us to be.