Using Libraries as Forums

I definitely think that libraries should be better organized
to address community concerns.  I think the staff size poses a
serious problem to this.  Many libraries have volunteers that
assist paid personnel with these areas.  There's just not enough
time or staff to really become specialized in searching for
specific areas - environmental, medical, industial, etc.  All of
these areas are facing the same problem: how to catalog information
to make it accessible to most and to preserve it for future
use?

I think training is the key.  We need to train our librarians and
assistants to search efficiently and to decifer quality information
from the heap of information returned.  There also needs to be more
depositories of information so that inter-library loans don't take so
long to receive.  I think information should be located no more
than three tiers away from the requestor to make the exchange of
ideas more efficient.

Thanks - Karen