Maps: How can we help people find environmental information?

As usual, Paul helps frame the issue well.

Right now, one of the things I'm most excited about in this arena right now is the maps that HUD is supposed to be making available. See http://www.hud.gov/emaps/.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be working at the moment, so we can't really evaluate them. But, I love maps and love being able to point and click on them to get info. I think it's about the best way to organize info for lay people and beginners.

I remember years ago EPA's emergency response office was working on geographic maps that could be accessed electronically. But there were serious data quality problems and the system was pre-internet technology. I wonder if that ever was developed and improved?