RE: librarians as advocates for common sense environmental information

James,

I often wish for an authoritative voice for objectivity in science.
Unfortunately, reputable scientific organizations are not always
good communicators of scientific information and judgement calls.
The only sure way a person can determined the objectivity of an
information source is by comparing to another source and asking
a few simple questions, especially when reviewing something in the
media.  Ask a few simple questions:

1. Have other experts achieved the same results or come to the
   same conclusions?
2. Are the points being made clear and concise?
3. Do I still have questions after reading this?
4. Have other scientists in that particular field of study
   read these results?
5. Does the author provide comments from others who have read it?
6. Does the author give me more than one option for getting more
   information?

Sadly, in the case of many articles I read and news clips I see,
the answers to most of those questions is no.  Like everyone else,
I'm forced to review the technical publication of a study to see
if it's valid.  At least I can use those simple questions to sift
through the obvious fluff.

Regards,
Jim Cooper