Sustainability: Paper vs Electric hand drying

The American Library Association took some pretty bold steps this
year in securing a $300,000 2-year grant from USAID and is
working with Global Learing, Inc. to establish a foothold on the
topic, that I feel, will be the next major environmental issue
with which we deal, namely sustainable development/growth.

Librarians across the country have already started taking part in
state-wide workshops sponsored by this ALA initiative:

         Libraries Build Sustainable Communities
         http://www.ala.org/sustainablecommunities/

I STRONGLY encourage librarians to look at this site, contribute,
attend your state work shop, bring the state workshop to your own
community.

Librarians have a definite role to play in community dialogues on
future economic and environmental growth. They need to be ACTIVE
players in the decision-making process and sit at the table long
side other community leaders.

Librarians must get involved.

Check the ALA 2001 conference program site (when it is created!)
and look for the continuing programming about Libraries Building
Sustainable Communities.

Fred Stoss
LBSC Planning Committee/ALA

University at Buffalo