RE: Question for Sept. 20: Federal, state and local EPA workers, what are you doing to help librarians?

Well, the New Mexico Environment Department really hasn't had an
librarian devoted to our issues. And we recently lost access to
the Health Department's librarian because she moved on.  She did
a great job in building our resources by surfing on-line data
bases and subscribing to environmental publications.  Since there's
no one to do that now, we haven't had environmental issues updates
in about 2 months.  We are able to continue to utilize the State
Library, but the same issue arises - they don't have the environmental
vocabulary to really assist us.  This means we really must be doing our
own searches and that takes time we just don't have.  So until
someone is chosen to fill the position, we are on our own.

In terms of what I and my co-workers do to support and assist
librarians, we file our public documents within our library and
with the State Library.  Aside from that, not much really.  We
don't have a working relationship established with our State
Librarians.  I was hoping a dialogue like this would help me to
assist them in addressing our agency needs in terms of library
resources.