Women and Minorities

Response to moderator's questions

Hello.  I'm pleased to participate in this forum. However, I confess
that I am unused to virtual communication so forgive awkwardness
with this medium.

purpose of Social Security, I would reply that they are not only
thought provoking but they will certainly lead us in a positive
direction.  Nonetheless, I'm betting that FDR and Congress at the
time of Social Security's enactment were only minimally interested
in issues of social insurance, the program's differing impact on
the sexes or eligibility criteria for differing segments.  (Having
had an opportunity to work as congressional staffer, I recall giving
first priority to the political feasibility of an initiative before
searching for sound rationales for its implementation.) More likely,
the president and legislators simply were looking for a way to help
elderly retirees financially while profiting politically.  Questions
were more likely to revolve around how to achieve universal
participation with a minimum of controversy and cost.

I have no problem with continuing to use that strategy to arrive
at some practical solutions to our concerns.  In fact, it gave us
the best domestic program ever conceived in Washington.  However,
the demographic and economic changes in our society have resulted
in certain inequities.  Many of those inequities have had a
discriminatory impact on women and minorities.  Once again, Congress
is faced with attempting to assist as many citizens as possible
with as little cost and controversy as necessary.

Thus, at the risk of sounding less like a great statesmen than
mediocre politician, I too wish to do as much as feasible to help
as many people as possible at minimal cost and controversy.  Given
the enormously complex and fast moving pace of our lives as we rush
to 2000, providing as much assistance as possible means giving
everyone, particularly women and minorities, the financial tools
to build lives based on foundations of self-determination no matter
their sex, average life span or occupation.  Those tools should
include the assurance of an opportunity to provide for themselves
at retirement and pass on assets to their children.

John Banks-Brooks