Women and Minorities

Response to Moderator's Question on Unmarried Partners

Yes, I'd like to see unmarried partners included as eligible for spousal
benefits, on the same terms as married partners.  For separate partners that
would require that they were together 10 years before separation.  Some form
of registration would need to be required.

The idea of benefits for unmarried partners seems to be an area of agreement
between Darcy Olsen and myself.  However, Darcy spoils it by wanting everyone
to have individual accounts to do whatever they want with.  The women's
movement worked hard to require spouse's to sign off on their partner's plans
to leave them none of their retirement pension, because before that
requirement became law, most men were not leaving their wives any of their
pension.  Funny thing, since the requirement more men make sure their wives
will have a survivor benefits.

Maybe Darcy wants everyone to be as strong and independent as she must be,
but in the real world people share their lives and theirs sicknesses and
their health, and they should be legally entitled to a share in each other's
retirement income.  I don't think freedom for all is really the way to go on
this.  As Janis Joplin sang, "freedom is just another word for nothing left
to lose."

Heidi Hartmann