Re: Question on Safety Net

>Today's question deals with the "Safety Net."  Many people in
>our discussion have stated their desire to provide a safety net
>for the low-income elderly.  How important do you think this
>is, and how should such provisions be implemented?

This is UNIMPORTANT.  There needs to be much greater emphasis on personal
responsibility in this country.  If I have lived my life in such a manner
that I must live in poverty when I am older, so be it.  Neither the
government nor the society I live in has any responsibility for my life or
for minimizing the consequences of my failures.  A suicide pill is the only
hand-out any government should give to those who can no longer support
themselves.  The government must not attempt to force us into having a
conscience.

I provide for myself.  If you force me to use my resources or my efforts to
support someone else, you are stealing from me.  The maxim "To each
according to their need, from each according to their ability", belongs
buried next to the remains of the failed Soviet Union.

If you feel you must implement a "Safety Net" program for these old people
then make sure that the program is COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY.  The IRS has
conned the people of this country into believing that participation in
Social Security is mandatory.  This must stop!  Any new program should be
implemented in such a way that its voluntary nature can never be
questioned, hidden, or subverted.  Allow people to VOLUNTARILY contribute.
Allow people to stop these VOLUNTARY contributions at any time.  Allow
people to "withdraw" the money the have contributed at any time.  If I
don't contribute to this program, and if I end up poverty stricken at 70,
then LET ME DIE!

Finally, the Federal Government SHOULD HAVE NO PART IN ANY SOCIAL PROGRAMS
AT ALL.  Social programs are not the province of the Federal government but
of the State governments.  The Federal government has shown itself to be
completely incompetent at administering social programs, and it has shown
itself to be completely IRRESPONSIBLE!  The Federal government needs to
stop the IRS from conning people into believing that wages and salaries
exchanged for labor are income.  Not only is this illegal (check your
Constitution and check the definition of 'Direct Tax') but this will
increase the amount of money the average American takes home by at least
15%.  This extra money will allow people to stop living the "credit card
debt" lifestyle (popularized by our debt ridden federal government), and it
will allow them greater resources for providing for their own future.

The very last thing I wish to say:  "STOP STEALING FROM ME!  I DON'T CARE
ABOUT POOR OLD PEOPLE.  YOU CAN NOT FORCE ME TO CARE.  YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO
IMPOSE YOUR MORALITY ON ME OR ANYONE ELSE!"

Geoff McIntosh
Pissed off victim of government sponsored theft and "morality"