RE: What "values" created the existing system?

<<<
1. My estimate that the six trillion dollar transition cost was
equivalent to doubling the tax for fifty years was plucked out of the air. I
would amend it by replacing fifty with many or replacing doubling with
substantially increasing.

My point is not to press you on exact numbers. Just to demonstrate
the fact that 6T is not as much money as it would seem at first.

<<<
2. You say paying the transition cost is easy but you do not propose
a procedure.  I am one step ahead in that I have suggested substantially
increasing the current tax rates as a possible procedure.

A simple procedure would be to tighten the noose a bit in the
future budgets. Believe it or not the government has enacted
into law caps which essentially limits government spending.
Even President Clinton signed the budget agreements which enacted
limits in spending (which were overrun at the last budget battle
with "emergency spending" - IMHO was due to Republican weakness).

To say that government cannot control spending is untrue. They
already are by law! But even these controls, while a good step,
do not go far enough. Government spending is still increasing
faster than inflation!

<<<
You assert that no adjustments in the present system should be
made unless the Congress reduces other government spending to your
satisfaction. I simply do not agree with that approach.

We can just disagree. My goal has been accomplished in putting
the facts and a position forward.

What can't government take a lesson from the private sector and
find ways to reduce costs? I guess I tend to see this from a very
simple minded point of view. If your outlays go up, one way to
balance the checkbook is to reduce expenses.

I base my opinion on a basic philosophy: investing more money
in the current system (by raising taxes) is an investment in
more government. I would prefer to see more money invested in
the private sector, since the private sector can help people
secure their retirement without punishing people with a
regressive wage tax.

I could beat the drum about why the private sector will work
better, but my fingers have gotten tired over the past 3 weeks
posting on these boards.

Michael