RE: Sniping at the "elderly"

I proposed raising the cap in concert with changing to a 17% flat tax and eliminating the current huge cost of complying and enforcing the present complex tax code. Doing so should result in lower taxes for all and, at least partially, offsetting the increase in "contributions". If going to a 17% flat tax does increase income taxes for some of the VERY wealthy, then they have been taking advantage of loopholes in the system and not paying their fair share. There is nothing wrong with a single tax rate for all, with no loopholes. I remember the time when the marginal income tax rates were as high as 70%.

You stated that "One of the basic tenets of the program was that the benefit was proportional to the level of contributions". The current benefits are not proportional to the level of contributions. They fall off considerably with increases of contributions above the average level. Raising the cap would merely be an extension of what is already occurring. While this may seem to be "unfair", I have seen no other proposal that would be less unfair than this.