RE: values underlying SS

Lisa wrote:

"4. The system is contributory and self-financed, with contributions from wages specifically ear-marked for Social Security."

As you can see from what I have written elsewhere here, I do not agree that the system is "self-financed" in the sense that an individual's contributions do nothing to "finance" his or her own benefits. Under the current system, our benefits will be financed by huge taxes on our children. Those who do not have children to finance those benefits will obtain the same benefits as those who do raise children.

Walter Hart