RE: SS, MORE than retirement

You are abosuletly right. Social Security is more than retirment.

It is a lottery. If you live long enough you might collect something for your 15.3% life time contributions.

It is life insurance. If I die and have children under 18, they may collect a benefit that costs four times more than ordinary life insurance.

It is a disability policy. If I become disabled, I may collect an annuity that cost 1.4 times more than it should.

It is a ponzi scheem. If I was one of the first, it was great. But alas, I am just a baby boomer who will get little to nothing for my contributions all these years except a huge national debt which was created by Social Security.

It is a divergent series and much more! Boy if you act now, you not only get ripped off, but will have to pay more taxes in the future just to pay the interst on your ripped off money!