Some final thoughts

I'm going to put down some hurried final thoughts, as my schedule for the rest of the week may prevent me from doing so later.

EPA

First, I think it's important to remember that libraries are only part of the equation. There are lots of additional things EPA needs to do to help build capacity, beyond working with libraries. A lot of the dialog has, in fact, directly or indirectly recognized that.

The discussions about data quality strikes me as an example. It is the traditional role of libraries to be information providers, without necessarily worrying about the quality of information.

It's EPA's responsibility to get good data out there, as well as reveal the limitations of the data as provided. EPA must also get that information out in a time manner, in formats that people can use. This is necessary for capacity building, with or without the involvement of libraries.

EPA should also should do more public outreach. This can be done through libraries, but should not be limited to libraries. People need to know EPA's role and opportunities for input. EPA should also make sure that people understand the relationship between the EPA and state agencies, and any oversight role EPA plays.

There should be standardization of public participation processes. A generic rule governing public comment periods would make the system more accessable, as finding out about process can consume much of the energy of a community group.

EPA needs to be more responsive to community complaints. This includes providing case studies that show how citizens have made the system work. The first hurdle is to convince people that they can make a difference.

EPA must be willing to enforce rules for that are supposed to provide for public involvement. If a state agency fails to meet the requirements for public participation, the EPA must be willing to intervene.

EPA needs to make sure that information for state agencies is accurate, timely and available to the public in formats they can use.

It is essiental that citizens have early access to information that will be used in decision-making. There should also be means of input during eary stages of decision making.

Libraries

I am somewhat amazed by the level of concern that has been raised about libraries engaging in advocacy. I think libraries need to make the critical distinction between advocacy and providing information for advocates. An oversensitivity on this issue can,I believe, lead to self-censorship. If I come to a library and say I have a problem with my car that I'm trying to rsearch, the librarian may ask me for more detail and point me toward information without being an advocate for Toyota, or the lemon law, or Chilton's car manuals, or me personally, or auto maintainence in general. My feeling is that the same is true if I come to the library and ask about wetlands. The librarian may not be comfortable about the politics of the issue, or the local ramifications of the issue, or whatever, but they are not doing their job if they aren't willing to point me toward information that will help me.

I think it would be very useful for libraries to focus attention on citizen involvement in environmental issues. This can easily be done without advocating. One way would be through displays on environmental issues, or about a local hot environmental topic, with access to all sides of the issue represented, and with information about how citizens can become involved. Libraries could also keep information on file for community groups (or the local polluter, for that matter). As long as the library presents, or is willing to present, information from each side, there is no advocacy, just education.

I'd like to see a cooperative effort by federal agencies to get all government documents on the web and funding to ensure that the documents are they are all available through libraries, with the libraries able to print them up for placement on the shelves or sale, at a reasonable cost, to patrons. Libraries could also print out documents that shoulde be free and charge the cost to the appropriate agency.

I think it might be a good idea for some libraries in neighborhoods were there is a clear need for capacity building to develop a pilot project, perhaps working with stakeholders in the community to see what their information needs are and what information they want provided to the community.