RE: Talking to each other (Study Circles -- Public Libraries as venues)

In each of the two years of the "Resources for Economic Viabilty in Sustainable Agriculture" project the Mohawk Valley Library Association, in partnership with the Regional Farm & Food Project of Albany, NY held a 5-session Study Circle.

We chose a season (winter) and a time of day (between milkings) that was easiest for our target audience (farmers) and hired leadership (also farmers).

We provided the leaders with basic training both in the form of a simulated Study Circle and printed materials available from the Study Circles Resource Center, a project of the Topsfield Foundation, Inc. P.O. Box 203, Pomfret, CT 06258. Phone: (860)928-2616. The print materials were: Advancing Sustainable Agriculture Through Small Group Discussions: A Guide for Group Leaders and Members, A Guide For Training Study Circle Facilitators, and Planning Community-wide Study Circle Programs: A Step-by-Step Guide.

We also made our research skills, photocopy machines and coffee / refreshments freely available to the participants in these farmer-to-farmer forums. Then, after much preparation, publicity & etc. etc. -- we gave everybody a hand-crafted blank journal book and, in the second year, a core text (Joel Salatin's You Can Farm, which was chosen before-hand by the facilitator) and then let the groups guide the direction of their discussions.

This was truly "Adult Education" using a genuinely democratic process and attendance by the 30 or so individuals (15 each year) remained nearly constant over the course of the events (in year one we scheduled every-other week, in year two, once a week for 5 weeks straight).

What long-term revisions in their farming practices (or even in their thinking about their farming practices) may evolve is beyond the scope of library personnel to track or even be privy to. However, if enthusiasm is a measure of success then at least for those 60 or so hours the geography of the public library was used for a purpose far beyond that of being the mere depository of texts!

Peace!
Rebekah Tanner