Danger in Small/Rural Libraries Being Proactive?

A follow-up question to Browne and Botts posting relating to both a librarian's personal relationship with their community to help them anticipate the needs of their patrons (Browne) and libraries providing neutral ground for contentious discussion on local issues (Botts):

In small rural libraries, do participants see possible problems for the library by its being proactive in its collections, posting of events, or booking of meeting rooms? I am a librarian in an urban area but I know how some issues can polarize rural communities. We have had major battles on censorship questions but not on our environmental work, but what experiences have people had in rural areas?