let's get real

I would like to demonstrate what it is like for the average citizen
(average meaning salary,education..national/mean) who finds themselves
for the very first time needing public health/environmental help
from the local/state/federal levels. But first I would ask all the
expert panelists to forget for a few moments their chosen profession
and or their formal training in their repective area of expertise. We
are now ,Mr/Mrs John Q.Public. You just received a call from the
school nurse informing you that your 6 year old is on her way to
the hospital. You barely hear what happen, you just want to know if
she is alright and were are they taking her. Words like difficulty
breathing/asthma/chemical accident at the plant fade away because
you are on your way. Every thing is ok with your child when you
arrive at the hospital. That's when thoughts start to sneak in..
plant down the block/toxic emissions. Later you and your spouse start
talking about last year ... she didn't have any serious breathing
problems ... but this year she is in a different school ... a school,
whose neighbor is a chemical plant. First thing in the AM you're
calling your pediatrician to ask some questions about these chemicals
and the effect they have on your daughter's ability to breathe. Your
doctor refers you to the local Dept. of Health. They will send you
a pamphlet on asthma. That night the school and state environmental
agency has an emergency public meeting at the school to answer
questions.

However, when the meeting is over you still have many lingering
questions (too many people/too much emotion). Again, first thing in
the AM you call the DEC yourself. Questions about public health is
not their area of expertise so they refer you to the state Dept.
of Health, however they can answer some questions about the air
emissions,ground and water. They use terms like part
360,TRI,ATSDA,TOXFAQ and so on. You even hear things like we just
don't have the staff..our systens are outdated..now you're getting
..frightened..manpower shortage..low pay.. no one wants to fill a
position. You start thinking if they can't answer me on the phone..what
is going on at the other levels..monitoring..permitting..and so
on. The regional office then suggests that the information you are
seeking can most likely be found at the PUBLIC LIBRARY. The next
night you and your spouse drive 15 miles to the next town because
that's were the closest library is located.You meet the librarian (her
child is in your daughters class). You talk about the accident and
why you've come there this night. She directs you to a small room
and points to a large box on the floor (libraries never have enough
space) she wishes you luck. She must attend  to her other duties
but she said she will be back to help you with the microfiche and
the computer. She returns, finds you confused, frustrated and impatient.

She logs online to the USEPA site and away you go..you find the
key word search..you key in GASP (made up name of the chemical in
question)..you wait..searching..0 INQUIRIES..PLEASE REFINE YOUR
SEARCH. You try again using a different term, the company's name
..up comes a list..chart..it has a link to another site..up comes
another chart with words like..maximum concentration/minimal
levels..rank total points, cas number..emission rate (il/yr)..it's
now 9 PM the library has to close for the night.

MR/MRS JOHN Q.PUBLIC LEAVE FOR HOME VERY DISTRESSED. THEY FEEL
OVERWHELMED, DISCONNECTED, HELPLESS, DISTRUSTING, BETRAYED AND IN SOME
CASES THEY BECOME ENRAGED.

Now panelists, how can the EPA/PLS HELP these  people and when
you are done quiding them, I have another family who lives
across town from Mr/Mrs John Q Public...except they are a
minority family who live in low-income housing and the outcome
that day of the accident was not as happy for their child (also
asthmatic) You see their child went home only to get admitted
later that night..they are subject to a dispropotionately
high/adverse environmental area..they live near a power
plant, plastic plant, chemical plant, class 3 inactive landfill
site, sewage treatment plant, a major interstate highway, 2 landfills
..one expanding..another is capped but leaking into the river where
they use to be able to fish..and in the near FUTURE 2 PLANTS (ARTICLE
X AND TITLE V) all this within a 2.5 mile radius of where they live
and their child goes to school. Panelists, more need to know
information..when you come up with a plan for these parents keep
in mind..they have little money, no transportation (except city
bus), can't make long distance phone calls and of course below the
national average (salary,education etc..). Oh yeah..computer tips
might not be of help to them.

If this sounds dramatic and heavy handed...I am sorry. Moreover,as
I read and relate to the wonderful dialogue that has occurred here
these past few days..I can't help remember back to the 1970's
when my first son died..and the doctors telling me that the
cancer was environmentally induced..or the first time I started
to look up information..or now when I attend local meetings
of the NAACP and see those sweet faces of the children who
live in that public housing area.

I have to wonder how you good folks at the EPA/PLS can make
partners, bridge the gap..make this accessible to all and
most importantly..gain their respect and trust.

					  deborah m. glover
                                          concerned human