The Online Amateur Naturalist

An invaluable informational and active resource that the Environmental Protection Agency could initiate would provide online naturalist study opportunities for library and at-home/homebound users. Specifically, stationary and mobile web cameras situated in various "places" on planet earth could be accessed electronically at the user's convenience. The net result would be a common experience and the educational treasure of natural observations. The cameras should have real-time streaming video and audio transmitting capabilities as well as be non-intrusive in their immediate environment.

Examples of "places" that a webcam could be installed for amateur naturalist study opportunities are the observation of:
Well-placed webcams situated in the extreme and commonplace mini-biomes of our planet would empower anyone with access to the internet as a naturalist observer; our sitting chair, binoculars or microscope, pencil, and notebook would be replaced with a webcam and an internet-linked computer. The learning community would be a global us.

Science Is Fun. Thanks for reading.

Don Deresz
Science Teacher
Miami-Dade County Public Schools