RE: Intro and informations needs

I've been scanning the dialogue these past couple of days and completely agree that environmental information needs are dependent on end use. Here at the Environemntal Services Department in San Diego we have a need for highly technical, professional level information. We need this to do our jobs! beinga ble to obtain free EPA docs in paper copy has been very useful. we catalog and circualte these docs so the paper copy is useful. We worry, too, about moving to paperless govt docs. Because we also operate a library open to the public, we see the zeal and quest of the public for environmental information. Sometimes the need is technical, as in a student doing a research paper, sometimes it's basic, where do I take my used oil, etc.

I rely heavily on the web, as well as fulltext periodical and newspaper databases. I assist the patrons in navigating through the information. We also have a departmental website <http://www.sannet.gov/environmental-services that has a section on frequently asked questions and our answers. We are in the process of revising our website and have been having departmental discussions on just this topic. What are the frequently asked questions and how as a department can all employees coming in contact with the public answer questions consistently and accurately?

The questions in our "file" reflect the same issues discussed in thid diaglogue, some are technical, some are practical, some are theoretical. It all depends on who is asking and what the end use for the information is. In addition to our library, our public information department, and our website, we strive to be visible in our community as leaders in the field of the environment. We hold public forums on site at our green building. We host environmental experts, have them autograph their books in our library, and then give a presentation for the community. Attendees generally include members of local environmental groups, staff, and the public. One college professor even gives her students extra credit to attend our forums! Another useful way to get information to the general public is in an environmental subject index to the web. In California, the California Digital Library has done just that in its Environmental Information Project. For me, it's a quick way to put a patron on the Internet. The patron can click on the environmental topic and the weblinks will be there. Very quick and dirty. Finally, I really like EPA and other groups' efforts to put kid links and environmental education stuff on their sites. California has new science standards for education and environmental topics play a big role in our new standards.