RE: Presidential Politics

We can all agree the goals of a clean, safe and healthy environment are desirable. How does one get there, that is the process part. Priorities are necessary in the real world; where do we individually and collectively spend our resources which are time and money. Personally after 15 years of studying environmental problems, I consider global warming an overarching problem that requires constant attention. Solutions are needed that require hard thinking and negotiating. Air pollution and the asthma epidemic are connected. Cleaner air is necessary if we are to reduce the asthma morbidity and mortality. The EPA must continue its work on containing asthma triggers such as diesel exhaust. More information needs to get to the public on the role of fine particulates and lung disease. Protection of groundwater from contaminants and remediation of contaminated groundwater is another public health priority. Very little of modern organic chemicals is necessary to unacceptably contaminate our drinking water. Public education by the EPA on these issues is necessary to build a political consensus supporting action on the part of our government. We need up to date information in language that can be understood by the citizen. Then the process part can move forward toward the goals of a clean, safe and healthy environment.

Craig Stead
Putney, Vermont