Introduction

I am a researcher with Resources for the Future, an environmental policy think tank in Washington, DC. Most of my work concerns public participation in environmental decisionmaking, and most recently, the role that the Internet can play in participation. I'm interested in both the content of this on-line dialogue and the nature of the dialogue itself. We've recently completed survey of state environmental agency web sites--looking at what information is provided and what opportunities are available for participating on-line. Some of the information from that survey is available in the Briefing Book for this dialogue. I will be particularly interested in the role that dialogue participants think that state environmental agencies can and should play in making information available to the public.