greetings from the Northwest

I have been a government information librarian for 23 years; at
Western Washington University for 13.  For the past 3 I have
also had responsibility for library relations with Huxley
College, the unit of WWU that teaches environmental science and
geography.

I am interested in learning anything about env. information
resources.  I am especially concerned about making sure public
information is available and STAYS available in the new internet
environment.

Congress is talking about eliminating the Federal Depository
Library Program - or at least the sending of physical
documents (paper, fiche, CD-ROMs) to libraries.  The assumption
is that everything is on the web, and this is not so.

Last week we received two fiche copies of congressional
hearings on hazardous material pipelines - including discussion
of the explosion that killed three children here in Bellingham
last year.  This hearing is not available on the web.  It is
not for sale from GPO.  If Congress had their way we would not
have received even a fiche copy.  Is this the future?

EPA is better than most agencies at putting their material on
the web, but when I did a search of new documents in June,
half of my sample of EPA documents (2 out of 4) were not
available electronically.  And has EPA made arrangements to
guarantee that material on the web STAYS available, or could
a change in administration mean that the only copy of a
publication vanishes into Bit Heaven?

Sorry if I am ranting.  If you want more information, see:
http://www.memes.com/~tlweiner/deplib.htm

Rob Lopresti
rob.lopresti@wwu.edu