Women and Minorities

Civic equality in retirement?

I hope you had an enjoyable Memorial Day weekend.    Please review
my previous request  for  additional questions to be submitted to
the sponsors of major Social Security reforms in Congress.  I'm
hoping we can compile a summary on that topic  by the end of
Wednesday.

And, if time allows today or Wednesday, please also respond to this
aspect of minority and female participation  in Social Security:
Women and minorities in America suffer the unfairness of the
workplace their whole working lives, in terms of pay ranges, home
duties and employment opportunities.  Should that unfairness be
preserved and perpetuated through lower retirement benefits in old
age, or shouldn't there be a time in one's life when some kind of
civic equality finally arrives?  For example, should all recipients
who have been citizens a minimum number of years receive the same
cash benefit per month?  If we retain a substantially non-privatized,
pay-as-you-go system, should past earnings really decide one's
benefits, or is that an insult upon an injury?  This question is
offered as a device to elicit your deeper opinions.

   -- Maureen West