RE: Charlie Hoyt and the Labor Party

>>> in most of the countries I've been in the people do not have a lot of love and respect for the way we do things.<<<

I have travelled much of the world and have found that most people who have no love or respect for the U.S. hold those feelings and perceptions because of our warped foreign policy not our founding principals. Others are merely envious of how good we have it here because of our respect for Capitalism (minimal as that is) and individual rights.

I was born in Beirut, Lebanon and forced to leave because of the war. My family and I found ourselves in London, England due to my father's business. We moved to the DC area in 1981. I call Virginia home and so long as fundamental American principals govern her, I will never leave my home. I was only nine but I immediately started my own business. By the time I was thirteen I had a job and have held at least one since. I am now 27 and my Social Security is fully vested, yet I will never see the money. How can you justify that to this immigrant, who came to America in search of the wonderful American dream?

>>>Why do we need old age and survivor's and disability insurance?<<<

We don't. In America everyone has individual freedom and individual responsibility. Assistance can be made available to those who need it, but only on a voluntary basis.

>>>If we do need it, how can we be sure that every worker in America
is covered by it?<<<

Simple. Increase the FICA tax and force everyone to participate. Tax capital and wealth. But hold onto to your hat 'cause you will also crush incentive, creativity and productivity. When these collapse the money will be depleted then you have to revert to war in order to loot others' wealth because you have squandered your own. Funny, I though we gave up tribal warfare when we became civilized.

>>>How can we be sure that whoever takes the insurance premiums will
have the money to pay the claims?<<<

You cannot. In life there are no guarantees (live through a war and you will experience that first hand). You can reduce the risk by investing in a profitable and stable venture.

>>>If the government should not do it, who should?<<<

Again, simple. You and every other American. Save your money, invest it wisely and pursue happiness.

>>>What plans are available for legislation?<<<

None that are good.

>>>But it is not true that everyone has the same opportunities. Healthy children of wealthy, educated, good parents generally have far greater
opportunities than sickly children of poor, uneducated, clueless
parents, for example.<<<

We are all created equal in the eyes of the law, that does not mean that we are all equal in ability; however, everyone has the right and the opportunity to go as far as their own sails will carry them. Remember that some sails are so big they carry more than one. The Wright brothers chose to fly for themselves, yet we all have access to air travel today. Alexander G. Bell wanted to assist the deaf for personal reasons, yet we are engaged in this discussion utilizing the evolved technology he invented.

>>>As for government management of the social security funds, the
administrative costs at about 1% are far lower than those of
any insurance company or brokerage that I have heard of.<<<

The old adage goes 'the cheapest ain't the best' and 'you get what you pay for'

Marwan Jabbour
An American immigrant who loves this country and what it is supposed to stand for.