RE: Continuing the Dialogue

As we enter the 2000 Presidential election cycle, the debate surrounding
Social Security will most likely be reduced to simplistic terms.  However,
as we all know the problem and potential solutions are anything but simple.
Moreover, the stakes are extremely high, given how many people have come to
depend on the current system.  Thus, it is extremely important to continue
to foster a public discussion on the true nature of the solvency challenge.
An informed electorate will force policymakers to heighten the level of
debate  and hopefully will bring us closer to reform.

	In closing, I would like to thank Americans Discuss Social Security
and Information Renaissance for organizing this round table.  I would also
like to thank those who took the time to share their opinions on Social
Security reform, as well as my colleagues on the Ways and Means Committee
for their thoughts on how we should proceed to strengthen the Social
Security system.

Rep. Xavier Becerra