RE: New Proposals

Representatives Kolbe and Stenholm's plan represents a legitimate
alternative to the plan I have put forward.   (Frankly, from a political
standpoint I think their plan is weak because it tampers with benefits and
would turn Social Security into a welfare program.)  Nevertheless, as
Congress and the President move forward all ideas will be considered and
debated.  At this point, the Ways and Means Committee, which I chair, is not
crafting any plan.  If the President steps up to negotiate with Congress and
takes a lead on finding consensus I am sure we will reform Social Security
this year.  Right now, the Kolbe/Stenholm plan is one of several on the
drawing board.

Rep. Bill Archer