RE: New Proposals

I would first like to address the previous statement by Chairman Archer in
which he states that, "most recognize that congressional Democrats would
rather have an issue to campaign with against the GOP, than actually finding
a bipartisan solution."  Statements such as these simply do not advance the
goal of a bipartisan solution for Social Security.  The majority of seniors
in Florida's Fifth District rely heavily on monthly Social Security checks.
I am certain they would prefer that their Congress find a solution to the
long term solvency of Social Security than protract this dialogue out for
another few years.  I am committed to working with Members on both sides of
the aisle to find a workable solution that protects the retirement needs of
my constituents.

In regards to the question posed by Carolyn Lukensmeyer, I would like to
reiterate the opinion of participant Richard Arnold that the Committee
should "encourage review of ALL Plans that have been developed..."  I hope
that the Chairman schedules hearings or meetings to discuss all of the
leading Social Security proposals.

	Rep. Karen L. Thurman