Financing of Social Security

Six questions:

1) FICA taxes were designed to be sufficient to provide a benefit
to the non-working spouse of a working spouse.  Now both husband
and wife work and contribute. What has happened to all the
additional funds from the previously non-working, but now-working,
spouses?

2)In the FAQ it is stated, "What interest rate does Social
Security earn on our money?
"According to the 1998 Trustees Report, the effective annual rate
of interest earned by the assets of the Social Security
retirement and disability funds during 1997 was 7.5%"

The latest data I've seen stated that the current rate of return
is 2% or less, compared with 5+% for private investors in Federal
securities.  Please explain the discrepancy.

3)  The Administration admits it sometimes improperly pays
benefits.  As it has a fiduciary responsibility, shouldn't any
improper payments be reimbursed to the fund through general
revenues or legal actions?

4) Senator Moynahan, a few years ago, was seen on several
nationally televised programs claiming that the SS tax was too
high--more was being collected than was needed.

What happened to all those "unneeded" contributions?

5) Almost half the time that I have requested SS earnings reports
on my and my wife's contributions, the values quoted us were
wrong--low each time.  One can therefore surmise that the SS
Administration has paid less benefits than it should have to all
those people who never had their contributions corrected.

Where has all the money gone?

6) We are told that there are an unusually large number of
children reaching school age.  At about the time the SS account
is suppoosed to be inadequate, they will be adults with jobs,
contributing to the account.

So what is the problem?  Could it be that there is an
expectation in the Administration that either the jobless rate
will be high or that the median income will have declined due to
global competition?

Sincerely,

Steve Cohen