RE: Financing of Social Security

>From: Stephen Cohen

Demographics. There are now fewer workers paying the benefits of each SS recipient. People are living longer while collecting SS benefits. SS is a largely pay as you go system.

Anybody stating a 'current rate of return' for SS (for example 2%) is misleading you. The 'rate of return' will vary widely depending on an individual's circumstances, especially their average salary. In general, the higher the salary (below or equal to the FICA max), the lower the 'return'. The 7.5% return is for the Treasury securities in the trust fund. This is the weighted average, including many securities issued at a time of higher interst rates. The rate of return in the SSTF IS NOT RELATED TO the 'rate of return' for an individual getting SS benefits. This Trust Fund is merely set up to help pay SS benefits in the out years when the payroll tax will no longer meet the SS benefits paid. Individuals do not have their own 'account' on which they receive fixed returns.

I'm sure they do that when they can. Realize that such 'enforcements' are NOT FREE and are not always successful. Also, we all have right of due process. Who can say what is the proper overhead to incur for 'enforcement'. Also note that those being 'enforced' can often bring political pressures (through Congressmen and other politicians) to bear on the SSA.

That is what goes into the Social Security Trust Fund and is lent to the US Treasury in exchange for interest bearing US Treasury Securities (See #2 above).

I'm not disputing your story, although I have never met anybody who has had that problem, with the exception of the most recent years, which have not been posted yet. The earnings reports always remind you to report discrepencies to the SSA. That is one of the reasons you should request those statements every couple of years, so that you still have documentation to help correct their records, if in error.

I think the 'unusually large number' just relates to recent years, and not the Demographics created by the 'baby boom'. That area is not my strong point.