retirement

Social Security should not be welfare. We have a welfare system and it can be expanded. Let's reward workers by letting them set aside their own money in a private account. We can follow Chile's model and assure that only licensed institutions manage these accounts and that the worker has private insurance through these accounts to cover death and disability. This saving should be mandatory, as it is in Chile and Singapore, and used only for retirement. People can learn to manage their own money, those of us in our 60s and up have had to learn that it took more than a savings account to plan for our future. Chile's economy has grown, their rate of savings is greater than ours (even though we are a "richer" country). The government is not a parent. Let's get that straight.