RE: bipartisan reform this year?

I think most Members want to achieve a timely and bipartisan solution.

The key, I believe, is to hold open and bipartisan hearings in the Ways
and Means Committee on the leading Social Security reform proposals (e.g.,
the President's plan, the newly released Archer/Shaw proposal, etc).  It
is through this democratic process that the Representatives and the public
can more fully understand the impact these proposals would have on both
our economy and present and future beneficiaries.

Politically--and quite unfortunately--momentum for reform has diminished
since the 1999 Annual Trustees Report was issued.   According to the
Trustees, "the Social Security trust funds are projected to be adequately
financed until 2034, two years later than projected last year."
Nevertheless, I believe most of my colleagues would prefer to implement
reform when there is not a crisis.

In short, I do not believe we can achieve consensus without fair and open
hearings.  As new Social Security reform proposals are introduced, I would
urge the Congressional Leadership and Committee Chairman to schedule
hearings so we can at least try to de-politicize this issue.

Rep. Karen L. Thurman