RE: bipartisan reform this year?

	In order for the Social Security debate to progress, Members of
Congress must recognize fully the demographic changes that will occur in the
next century.  Currently, there are about 35 million Americans age 65 or
older; that number will almost double by 2030.  Furthermore, in the 1960s
there were five workers contributing into the Social Security system per
beneficiary receiving a Social Security check; currently, there are about
three workers per beneficiary and in 2030, there will be only two workers
per beneficiary.  Americans are also living longer than they did when Social
Security was established.  In 1940, men reaching age 65 could expect to
live, on average, 12 more years; by 1997 that figure increased to 15.6 years
and it is projected to climb to 17.5 years by 2040.  Congress must address
these new realities.  More importantly, we must acknowledge that in order to
successfully meet the challenges associated with changing demographics, we
should act now.

	The fact that we are living longer and healthier lives should not be
characterized as a "problem."  Problems only arise if we do not act
proactively to address the consequences of these perceivable demographic
changes..

Rep. Xavier Becerra