RE: bipartisan reform this year?

Carolyn has asked what it would take to convince me, as a Member of
Congress, that Social Security reform should happen this year.

Put simply, I am already convinced that we should act to reform Social
Security sooner rather than later.

The facts are clear.  Though the program is currently running a surplus,
Social Security is facing a long-term financial crisis. Demographic changes
- Americans living longer lives, the retirement of the baby boomers combined
with fewer workers paying for the benefits of more retirees - put the
long-term stability of the program in jeopardy.  The need to preserve Social
Security for future generations without increasing payroll taxes or cutting
the benefits upon which current retirees depend should be sufficient
motivation to act.  Those with the courage to come forward and issue
realistic solutions to this problem, such as Chairman Bill Archer, should be
commended for their foresight and honesty in addressing Social Security's
inevitable long-term problems.

Rep. Kenny Hulshof