RE: Social Security Roundtable

Mr. Rother has proven again his insights and instincts toward possible
reform are on target.  May 3d he wrote, in the face of substantial
pessimism, that reform was possible.  Now at least Mr. Archer and Mr.
Hassert are willing to hold out some hope for action.  The good news is
there may be action; the bad news is it not likely to be effective
management by the Congress.  This is because they are outsiders looking
in, and are interested in political credits first, solutions "if" they
end up working.  I can think of very few governmental solutions in any
area of public concern that have worked, and the regulatory machinery put
in place is most often inconsequential because no one is available to
take even constructive criticism, let alone blame, when the failures
mount.  The President answers only to 4 or 8 year blocks of time. The
Supreme Court picks and chooses its battles.  Only the Congress rises
above this rabble and ensures their incumbency into years well past their
prime.  The Honorable Strom Thurmond is a classic example, with many
others not far behind.  He should be King of the Senate for accomplishing
what all Senators and Representatives can only dream of doing -- passing
laws into eternity.  With that cynicism out of the way  -- after all they
comprise only about 635 taxpayer subsidized rulers, we have to deal with
the millions (classified info) of Federal minions who are no part of
Social Security other than whatever benefits they accrued before going
private.  How is their "plan" working.  If it is a success, we have the
working model in place and must convert the present Trust fund
immediately to that successful model.  Surely the actuarial figures are
available to provide the cost effectiveness of private federal retirement
plans vis-a-vis Social Security.  We can also use the famous credit union
model, which started out by supplying financial services to specialized
groups of employees and graduated to the point of accepting even state
and federal prisoners into their ranks.  Economy of scale or some such
rot.  The point is, is it fair, equitable and as free from political
influence as can possibly be attained.  That should not be a concept too
difficult for an experienced legislature, a "public servant", to work
toward.  I agree with Mr. Rother that perfection is not the goal.  As
aforementioned, it's much easier:  Fairness & Equity.  Worst case
scenario is the government could lose disgruntled employees dispossessed
of their private retirement system, and we could all be worker ants for a
change. How I wish I had the stature and wherewithall to tell every MOC
this face-to-face.