Let me out!

    I am in my mid-thirties and have an understanding of the
rudiments of investing.  I work hard for my money and don't like
to see it wasted, by me or anyone else.
     Since the equivalent of over 12% of my income is placed into
the social security system, I would like to be able to decide where
it goes.  I think a passbook account would earn me far more than
the present system would.  Trust me, I wouldn't put it in a
passbook account.
      It's about time someone mentions the idea of letting people
opt out of the system.  Some would argue that people opting out
would short the system of needed funds.  But since I will (as with
many others) take out far more than I will put in if I don't opt out,
and since the
government would already be 'up' the money I won't get returned
that I've already paid in, it should be seriously discussed.
       I don't take seriously and senate or U.S. Rep candidate that
doesn't at least admit that as a seriously good idea worth quite
a bit of consideration.  Sadly, that limits me to the Libertarians
only, it seems.