Re: Question on Charity

marvelous quote:
If we need laws to make people treat men of other faiths and races as
friends; if we need the police power of the secular state to take money from
men for human need; if it is believed that the only hope of a city of God is
to seek the alternative of a collectivized mass leveled to the lowest common
denominator of mentality and ability - if all this be the limit of our hope
for mankind, then even such activity is sheer futility, for even if such an
effort could be achieved it would have no meaning at all for mankind.  This
rejection of personal responsibility would prove only that it is possible to
make men live like whipped dogs, and the proving of it would be hell.

       -Russell J. Clinchy        To paraphrase, the current social security
system is based not on compassion but on raw force.  It is therefore
imperative that we make the system voluntary, so that Americans will be free
to plan for their own retirement.  As for the truly needy, their needs can
and should be met by more traditional (and successful institutions) such as
the family, churches and private charities, none of which rely on violence or
the threat of violence in order to raise money.  In our constitutional
republic, the government is supposed to be a servant of the people.  However,
in our present mandatory social security system, the federal government acts
like a parent doling out an allowance when it confiscates our hard earned
money with the promise of returning a portion of it to us at a later date.
To any politicians wishing to maintain this system, I would challenge them to
dispense with the illusion that we're living in a free society and recognize
the system for what it is: TYRANNY!!!  Of course, this is wishful thinking on
my part, for asking the statits who run our country to stop lying would be
the equivalent of asking the armed robber to lay down his gun.