Safety Net

Surely, America has the resources to provide a floor of security for elderly and dependent members of our society. Our prosperity is linked across classes and generations. Nobody enjoys self-sufficiency entirely of their own making; success occurs in the context of community. And, nobody is immune from unexpected consequencies, poor choices, or misfortune.

Discussion of Social Security reform provides an opportunity to re-think how best to provide basic social support in the context of our current and prospective circumstances. There are new realities about demographics, life expectancies and healthcare. Family size and structure has changed. Our economy is evolving. We need to stop focusing on the merits/faults of the historical structure of Social Security and pursue new models for the 21st Century. The ideas offered by Joye Swain on June 1 would be a place to start.