Re: Final week of the National Dialogue

Dear Bob:
  Social Security is extremely unfair to many women--while at the same time
awarding some women high income for little or no contribution.
  Item:  A woman who cares for her elderly parents and thus gives up many
years of earned income, loses on her Social Security even though she has
provided a service to the society and saved the society much money--not to
mention providing a good role model in responsibility for others.  (My
mother and I have both done this.)
  Item:  A woman who devotes years to raising children is also out of the
work force and thus earns a lower Social Security pension.  (I have seven
children and consequently my income is very low this last years of
qualifying for my monthly pension.)
  Item:  A foreign woman who marries an elderly American and then has a
child, can collect benefits until that child becomes 21 even though the
woman child may never have entered the United States and the marriage may
have lasted only months.  (It was common to see teenagers trying to marry
elderly Americans in Mexico when we lived there.  Such a marriage provided a
large income for the entire family upon the death of the American.)
  Item:  A woman who marries a very wealthy man receives a very large
pension after 10 years of marriage or upon his death.

  This is why I feel that all Social Security pensions should be equal.  No
one should receive more than any other recipient.  All should contribute an
equal percentage of income (whether earned or not--as in capital gains or
dividends or interest).  All should receive checks for equal amounts
(whether male or female, rich or poor).  Other forms of retirement pensions
should not be government assisted through being called "business expenses"
or by being tax free.
  Such reforms in collecting an equal percentage contribution from the
extremely wealthy would provide more income for the Social Security fund.
  A reform in paying all equally and making it less desirable for the
wealthy to receive huge pensions from businesses which are government
subsidized through reduced taxes would also help obtain votes for Social
Security benefits which provide a level of security.
  The current system rewards those lucky enough to have been able to have
steady and secure income and to have a large income during the last years of
employment.  The rich become richer, while those who truly need the umbrella
of protection receive the least.
  Short of equal payments to all, women should receive credits for time
spent caring for family members.  How about at least receiving credit for
minimum wage contributions for every year spent caring for an elderly
relative and/or a child?
  Thank you.
  Joye R. Swain
  5008 N. State