RE: A Fundamental Question

The question of "societal contract" is an excellent one but I submit that people may answer it based on their personal assumptions and motives -- If I desire not to help other people I am more likely to label them as "not willing to work and contribute" and thus less deserving; but if I believe all people need some level of protection and am willing to tax myself (and others) I am more likely to label them as "the unfortunates." The labels are probably more a result of our underlying values than they are of reality. I would suggest rephrasing the "social contract" question not in terms of deserving and undeserving but in what best serves our overall society over a long period of time -- and would also suggest that the existing Social Security System has done a pretty good job of stabilizing social needs and contributing positively to the nation's well being.