RE: Overview and Opinion

>From: "Marv. Rohrs"

Well, how about its # 1 proponent, Dick Armey. From his website:

http://flattax.house.gov/faq/quest16.asp

Requires about a 21% rate to be revenue neutral. And Armey plans for unnamed 'spending reductions' to pay for it. Just like you want to use 'spending reductions' to pay for current SS expenditures. Just like CATO wants to do for its program. I see a pattern here. Everybody wants to pay for their 'wonderful' program by cutting somebody else's program. Folks, there is no free lunch.

But the flat tax does none of that. Tax simplification does that. Simplification does not require a single rate. If the tax form were to include a tax table, multiple rates make it no more complicated. And even if they don't, a calculator is awful cheap. And the flat tax only taxes wages and pensions. Not dividends nor interest nor capital gains. The worker's tax on his wages will have to make that up.