RE: SS REFORM

Mr. Rohrs,

   I have two points to make in response to your posting, which, in turn,
was in response to another posting.  First, I agree with you that seniors
should not be the scapegoat for all complaints related to increasing tax
burden on current generations.  While I believe that most of the programs
that you mentioned as increasing the quality of life should have been
handled differently than through an ever-increasing federal government, they
not the fault of today's seniors, any more than the Gulf War and the current
Yugoslavian problems are the fault of the Baby Boomers or Gen-X'ers.  Touche
on that point.
   My second point, however, is that there is a reason for the bitterness
that is sometimes evident between younger generations and the elderly.  There
are many amongst retirees who attack viciously anyone who even suggests
reform to any of the systems that are supposed to help the elderly, even if
those programs are financially bankrupt.  I do not propose that it is all
seniors who feel this way, but a vocal portion immediately classify as anti-
elderly anyone who suggests reform.  Younger generations see the elderly as
completely unwilling to make any sacrifices, so as to assure that the programs
will be there to support future generations.  When that happens, communication
stops, and bitterness arises.
   Just an observation of mine.  Take it for what it is worth.