Bill Larson

"Do not confuse building with paying for it."

I don't think I have, but correct me if you disagree. I suspect that you are considering only the monetary side of the transaction, and not the economic side. Yes, on the monetary side, the generations that built the highways has received paychecks then and retirement benefits now, and later generations have had to foot the bill. On the economic side, however, prior generations devoted their resources to creating infrastructure that would be far more useful to later generations than it was to them, and they did this instead of doing things that would have immediately improved their standards of living, like more free time or better food or more gadgets.