RE: May Day and Social Security

Socail Security passed by a very slim majority in 1937. There was no broad based support for it. Much of what we have today was added later becuase it originally would not pass with it. They were smarter back then I suppose for fighting it so. Only need one more vote and we would not even be speaking about Saving Social Security nor a $5.4 Trillion debt. There would be no Social Security.

It is time to wake up and face facts. Unless we want to tax ourselves $10 Trillion in 1999, anything we do will be a patch and required subsequent generations to fix (1976, 1983, 1986 and currently).

It has created a $5.4 Trillion debt.

It has broken up the American family

It has created the need for day care and exemptions for payment of such.

It has given us all a number by which we are Identified even though originally it was "Not to be used for identification."

It is not a successful program, but the most unsuccessful program in the History of the United States.

A successful program would not have to be fixed constantly. It would be self adjusting. It would not pit old against young, but be fair. It would not save some from poverty while forcing others into poverty to pay for it and more.