RE: What "values" created the existing system?

Dear Bill Larsen,

	This is in reply to your questions and comments.

	I don't understand your comment that raising the retirement age kills
people. What on earth do you mean?
	My analysis is based on data contained in the annual Trustees'
reports, available on request to the public. I had reference to increased
life expectancies at 65; for males the increase was from 11.9 years in 1940
to 15.6 years in 1997, projected to increase to 18.8 years in  2075. You
completely misunderstood my reference to tax rates.  The original tax
legislation provided for a combined employee-employer rate of 2% but also
scheduled an increase in a few years to 6%, recognizing that the system had
few retirees at that point and would have to increase the rate as more
retirees came on the rolls.  The corresponding rate currently is 12.4%.
	The major change I suggest is increasing the retirement age in a
manner that keeps pace with increased life expectancies. Thus every future
retiree could expect to receive benefits on the average as long current
retirees do. For some reason, you feel that amounts to giving future retirees
nothing.
	The current projections show that the system with no change in
legislation can pay 100% benefits to 2034 and 75% benefits for the balance of
the 75 year period of the projections. There is no prediction that benefits
would have to be reduced below 75%.
	You correctly point out that the government projections each year
have shown different results. That is the nature of  projections. Unforseen
economic trends do occur. We should not be so rigid as not to change our
assumptions for projections when we realize we have overlooked significant
trends. Apparently your projection has remained constant for a period of
years.
	My conclusions agree closely with those reached by six members of the
President's 1994-96 Advisory Commission on Social Security. Dissenting
reports were filed by the other seven members of the Commissions but none of
those reports had more than two supporters.