RE: Transition Costs to Privatize: A Myth

>From: Richard Arnold

Of course, those retired need money to live on. A bond really does most no good. They would need an annuity to replace SS. That's a lot of 'bonds' to dump on the capital markets all at once. What would that do to interest rates, and maybe the stock market prices?

Funding liability and debt is not merely a matter of issuing bonds. Indeed, if that were so, we would have no SS problem. To fund the liability, you have to come up with REAL MONEY.

Indeed. Taxing? I thought a tax increase is what the reform was trying to avoid. Borrowing? There goes the benefit of all that private savings, as we borrow that much money out of the capital markets. Creating Money? Good old inflation to destroy the private savings of all those people who we enticed out of SS and the 'real value' of those bonds we issued to those not yet retired. Reducing other government spending? What else is left to be cut? Defense?

This analysis seems seems to avoid all those details that can have a significant effect on the real financial world. You seem to be saying that the reform solution is going to cause all those problems we are trying to avoid.

Say hello to inceased income taxes and/or borrowing. How is this scenario any better than what we have under the current system?