social security reform

The more comments I read the more I can see how Social Security reform seems inevitable-(so many questions/answers)- the main problem I have with SS is the fact that 12.4% of my pay is taken involuntarily- I did not ask for this- SS was created when people were not aware of 401k's & IRA's-my generation has up-to-date financial info at our disposal- if you choose not to take advantage of an opportunity (investing) it should not be up to someone else to take care of you-second- some comments seem to be concerned about the markets having to "absorb" all this new money from privitazation- if I know that I was going to be able to invest some of my 12.4% SS money then I would more than likey not invest such a large % in my 401k/IRA-